Cast for two

Sunday, July 29, 2007

How to (not?) include a HTML page into blogger posts ? (continued 2)

Much to my despair, I noticed the Google Spreadsheet included in a blog post of this blog does not render nicely (even after some digging into the issue, see post1 and post2) in Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and 7:
While reading Make Magazine in Google Reader, I noticed that the Youtube movie of post "Thomas Edsison hates cats" was coming trough nicely. I looked up the HTML code in the RSS feed and adapted the code I found for displaying inline HTML code. It boils down to something like this:

<![CDATA[<p>
<object data="URL to HTML page" type="text/html" width="520" height="350">
<embed src="URL to HTML page" type="text/html" width="520" height="350"></embed>
</object></p>
<p>Title of HTML Page <a href="URL to HTML page">Link</a></p>]]>

Unfortunatly, Blogger does not accept the <![CDATA[. It reports "tag is broken". I removed the CDATA:

<p>
<object data="URL to HTML page" type="text/html" width="520" height="350">
<embed src="URL to HTML page" type="text/html" width="520" height="350"></embed>
</object></p>
<p>Title of HTML Page <a href="URL to HTML page">Link</a></p>


which renders to (with URL of the Google Spreadsheet):





Blog of colleagues Juli 2007 Link


which renders on Microsoft Internet Exporer 6 as:

Bummer. The object does not display nicely. Ok, lets see what Google Reader makes from it:

Archhh. This is even worse. It must have been the CDATA. Why is Blogger not accepting that I put CDATA into a blogpost. Give me full control of the HTML in the feed please !
Or maybe, as a last resort conflicting with my open standards first DNA, I could try this (as a kind of revance ;-)): export the Google Sheet to Microsoft Excel and include the Excel sheet with MIME type : application/vnd.ms-excel
The code would be like this:

<p>
<object data="URL to HTML page" type="application/vnd.ms-excel" width="520" height="350">
<embed src="URL to HTML page" type="application/vnd.ms-excel" width="520" height="350"></embed>
</object></p>
<p>Title of HTML Page <a href="URL to HTML page">Link</a></p>

which causes Firefox 2.0.5 on OSX to pop up this dialogue:

Ok, I surrender. Maybe the Iframe code Google Sheets proposes it not that bad at all. If any body has a better idea, please let me know.

No comments: